Karthika masam is the most auspicious month among Hindus, it begins in the eight month of the year after the sun entering to the scorpio. Karthika pourami is also known as “karhika tripuri”. Poornima celebrated on the full moon night of shukla pashkam. karthika means extreme in fortune and poornima means night of full moon .
Karthika masam is considered auspicious for worshipping lord shiva & lord Vishnu. Lord shiva demolished the strong forts of tripuri made of Gold, Silver and Iron (Tripurasura). People across the world rejoiced the death of asura by lighting lamps, on this day also known as “Dev deepawali” (or) Tripuri poornima.
Women who observe fasting on this day and light up rows of oil lit earthen lamps round the Tulsi kota.
Married women bundle up 365 cotton wicks & place the bundle in earthen lamps wet these with cow ghee (or) melted butters and then lit the bundle of 365 wicks. This signifies the lighting of lamps for the whole year/ each day of the year.
Significance of Karthika Pournami Vratham
Karthika masam rituals one can get discipline and social values .the sun passes through the each zodiac sign throughout year and create a sacred and pure environment.
- Sacred bathing is washing all kinds of physical & mental impurities and droves past karma.
- Water is charged with the electromagnetic power before the sunrise so taking bath in this water cures all diseases.
- Lighting lamps in the houses lamp vapors will create a shield of protection from virus and germs.
- Worshipping holy tulsi creates healthy environment in this month.
- Lighting lamp near tulasi plant gives prosperity, remove from sins.
- In yajurveda karma mentioned that A person has 3 different types of behavior and thinking satwa, tamas, rajas .satwa mind people are restful & creative. Tamas mind people is full of destruction’s and negative thoughts. Rajas mind people are full of desires& greedy.we should learn to maintain balance between these minds.
- Fasting on the pournami brings more,vibrations in the nature and mind is difficult to be controlled .